East Mountain Chamber of Commerce
General Meeting Minutes
October 1, 2009
Meeting was called to order at 11:45 am.
Present: Bill Walters, Betty Miller, Loretta Olson, Deea Emmons, Susan Walker, Julie Albright, Ellen
Absent: Jeff Burdette, Peggy Moeller-Mead
Agenda Item I. Treasurers Report- Betty Miller
The East Mountain Chamber bank account currently has $4064.66.
Agenda Item II. Executive Board Report
The Golf Tournament brought in 1769.13.
Agenda Item III. New Member Presentation, Linda Shaeffer- Owner of Comfort Keepers
Mrs. Shaeffer provides in home care for seniors citizens that need assistance, recovering new Mom’s,
general population that is recovering from an illness or injury. The franchise company has been in
Albuquerque for eight years, it is a non-medical service. The employees are trained, screened and
interviewed. Comfort Keepers offers a choice in safety, such as, the staff is on the phone with the client
during an emergency (smoke alarm, a fall, etc). The speaker phone range is 300” indoors and 600’
outdoors. They also provide floor mat sensors for clients with dementia. The service is local and they
work with fire, police and the clients list of contacts. If the client is hospitalized the Comfort Keeper goes
to the hospital. The service provides medical management; dispensers and reminders for medicines,
interactive care giving. The Comfort Keeper does things with the client versus doing it for the client.
Agenda Item IIV. Guest Speaker, Sgt. Mize – U S Army Recruiter
Sgt. Mize office is located at Tramway & Cloudview in Albuquerque. He explained to the Chamber
members what the US Army can offer to their recruits’; medical, dental, college monies ($4500.00 per
year), 84K towards education once the recruit has served their entire time. The Army Reserve offers
educational benefits. He explained the Army offers sizable bonuses for signing up; the Army covers sick
time at full pay and provides Tri-Care insurance to the recruit and his or her family. Sgt Mize said when
he has his 20 years completed his resume is desired by law enforcement and his time served goes
toward a law enforcement retirement. The acceptable age is 17 to 41 years of age. There are placement
exams. Sgt. Mize reminded us that his office will support community, school event with advertisement
and their presence.
· Commissioner Brasher of our District 5 provided the following updates: Adding additional turnarounds
on I-40 in the canyon. The need for Ambulance Company that has 4 wheel drive
vehicles to service the East Mountains. The McGrain Sub-Station is on delay due to water issue
and fire station in the same community, however, this should be a concern that will be worked
through. The Commissioner also discussed the impact on local dollars and local economical
development and job growth. Bringing local jobs by way of incentives re; Sun Cal, Mesa del Sol,
movie industry, solar companies. If existing companies can retain and continue to add to their
staff the county and state need to support those companies.
· Board Member Nominations. Motion by Wayne Clayco, Seconded by Ellen Ashcraft to accept
Board nominations. All were in Favor. Motion passed.
· Tri Chamber Golf Classic Awards– Most Creative Hole Sponsor- Molly Maids Kim & Jack Funk,
Dave Padu Team from the Telegragh – Winning Team of Tournament.
Memorial Garden dedication announcement- The Mountain Garden Club is dedicating their
Community Memorial Garden at the SE corner of the Vista Grande Community Center October
6th at 11:30am.
· Member of the Month Drawing – Rich Ford of Edgewood.
· 50/50 drawing winner- Betty Miller
· Door Prize- Provided by Ellen Ashcraft Mary Kay Cosmetics- Winner- Paul Mendoza
· Board Meeting to follow General meeting today.
· Diana Chavez- LVCC is hosting their annual “Trick or Treat “on Friday October 30th. They need
businesses to decorate booths & hand out candy to the children. The theme- Monsters Inc.
· Reading Works is collecting used ink cartridges and old cell phones.
· Annual Toy Drive- will have multiple drop off locations as well as the Chamber office.
· Los Vecinos is in need of classes for their Saturday schedule.
· Recycling bins are available for bottles and cans, please recycle.
Meeting adjourned at 12:48pm