East Mountain Chamber of Commerce
June 4, 2009
Meeting was called to order at 11:45 am.
Present: Bill Walters, Betty Miller, Loretta Olson, Deea Emmons, Julie Albright and Ellen Ashcraft
Absent: John Hembree, Peggy Moeller-Mead
Agenda Item I. Treasurers Report- Betty Miller
The East Mountain Chamber bank account currently has $4746.85. Betty Miller provided a check registry to the attending members.
Agenda Item II. Executive Board Report – Golf Committee continues to meet regarding the Tri-Chamber Golf Tournament.
Agenda Item III. Guest Speaker, Cid Morgan
Ranger Cid Morgan discussed the new “Motor Vehicle Use Map” There are copies of the map at the Chamber Office and the Sandia Mountain Ranger Station. There is to be no ATV use except on forest roads. A summer trail crew has been hired for sign placement on the trails, the crew will be working weekends and the FPO can write tickets. The NMORVA will have federal grant dollars to install trail limiters (the limiters size the trail for hikers, bikers, dirt bikes, horses there by not allowing ATV’s.) The picnic areas & out trails are in the process of dropping hazard trees, by permit and lottery system you could have free wood, 2 cord maximum. Please sign up at the Ranger Station for the lottery, prices are $10.00 per cord. You may cut Monday through Thursday if you win.
Agenda Item IV. Guest Speaker, Commissioner Michael Brasher, Bernalillo County
Fire Meeting tonight at Los Vecinos at 6:30pm. No burn ordinance in effect through July 4, 2009. You can reach the Commissioner at his home 298-8312 or cell 804-0940. Planning continues regarding the McGrain substation discussing road and access in regards to cemetery visitors’, timeline 1 to 2 years. Public Safety Agreement fire protection for the Campbell Ranch development continues between Edgewood & Bernalillo. Work continues regarding the Animal Care Taskforce, a regular care facility for animals during a forest fire. Discussion continues regarding turn around areas when there is an accident, weather on I-40. Highway department did add turn arounds Bernalillo wants additional location. The DOT has agreed two additional turn- a -rounds points. The MDC is our county jail and Commissioner Brasher feels we as a community should address the problem populations, homeless, substance abuse and mental disorders. The Commissioner believes that without intervention or programs these three populations will continue to come in and out of the jail. Overcrowding is a problem at MDC as he feels a convicted felon should go to the State prison. MDC is funded through property taxes and should not be. Discussed sentencing at 364 days or less so they convicted may be placed at MDC versus Santa Fe.
Agenda Item V. Current Member, Jeff Burdette, PowerwoRx e3
Mr. Burdette gave a presentation on the PowerwoRx e3 and explained how this unit will save you money in your electrical costs, life of appliances , provide a cleaner constant source of electricity and the unit also features a whole home surge protector. He has realized a savings of 14% in his electrical bill thus far. PowerwoRx e3 also provides up to 25k to replace appliances if the surge protector fails. The cost is $599.00, plus tax, with an estimated installatioin charge of $100.00. There is a 10% discount to Chamber members and an additional 5% discount for the summer. Flyers were provided to Chamber members.
- Dr John Hembree is the Member of the Month
- Sandia Mountain Lyons Club is the winner of the door prize “The Albuquerque Magazine- sponsored by Jim Dobier
- Ellen Ashcraft was present an appreciation plaque for her three years of dedicated service as the East Mountain Chamber Secretary. Reminder is you have something for the Chamber News please get it to Mrs. Ashcraft no later than the 15th of each month.
- Lori Webster from East Mountain High School presented a thank you plaque to the Chamber for the charity money that was given to E.M.H.S. for their program. She also invited the Chamber to join in the July Towne Meeting.
- President Bill Walters advised the membership that Dr. John Hembree cannot attend the Chamber meetings on a regular basis and is stepping down. Mr. Jeff Burdette a former Board member has been asked to fill Dr. Hembree’s Board position. Motion by Loretta Olson, Seconded by Betty Miller for Jeff Burdette to be appointed to the East Mountain Chamber of Commerce as a Member at large, All were in favor, Motion Carried.
Meeting adjourned at 1:15pm