East Mountain Chamber of Commerce
General Meeting Minutes
November 5, 2009
Meeting was called to order at 11:45 am.
Present: Bill Walters, Jeff Burdette, Peggy Moeller-Mead, Deea Emmons, Susan Walker, Julie Albright, Ellen Ashcraft
Absent: Betty Miller, Loretta Olson
Agenda Item I. Treasurers Report- Betty Miller – Absent due to illness- No Report
Agenda Item II. Executive Board Report – President Bill Walters- Chamber Office Update
President Walters provided information to the Chamber members regarding the Village of Tijeras wanting to claim the Chamber building for other uses and to disallow the Chamber from using the building. He went on to explain when the building came to be the funds were required to run thru a municipal entity, the Village of Tijeras or Bernco Parks & Recreation. At that time the Village was very supportive of a Welcome Center/Chamber Office and even agreed to staff the building. The Village received 100K through Sue Wilson Beffort efforts through State funding for the Chamber building. Recently a letter was drafted to Mayor Gloria Chavez asking her to reconsider kicking the Chamber out of the building. When the Mayor sat as a Counselor on the Village and this Chamber building was coming to be she supported the Chamber.
Susan Walker believes the taking of this building is improper and would like to take this issue farther. She agrees that the building has not been used as a visitors/welcome center, however, the Village promised a staff member for this building and then never provided one. The Chamber cannot pay for a full time employee. The members of the Turquoise Trail might volunteer their time. Susan would like the Chamber members to attend the next Village meeting on 11/09/09 at 6:00pm.
Ellen Ashcraft clarified the issue of volunteers. The Village of Tijeras will not allow additional keys for the building thereby making it very difficult for volunteers to give of their time.
Agenda Item III. New Member Presentation - None
Agenda Item IIV. Guest Speaker, Christine Smith- East Mountain Coalition of Neighborhood Associations
On 11/04/2009 an evening meeting was held at Los Vecinos regarding the North Hwy 14 new sector plan. The community needs to participate in this process of development and the county is asking the community to attend these meetings and provide input. There are 48 neighborhood associations in the East Mountain community. The county needs participation from the business community as well. Such as; what kinds of businesses does the business community wish to see on North 14, clusters, strips, signage, zoning, fencing, privacy walls, etc.? There will be no down zoning, zoning will remain the same or be upgraded. Please sign up to be included regarding announcements of meetings. On 12/02/2009 Commissioner Brasher will hold a meeting at Los Vecinos or Vista Grande community center, the time has not yet been announced. Susan Walker asked if Commissioner Brasher could move this meeting into the New Year as December is such a busy month for most people. Christine provided her phone number 286-4743, Robert Ducet’s 298-8312 and Commissioner Brasher’s home 298-8312, cell 804-0940 and Mari’s 314-0350. Jeff Burdette clarified that the county is not creating the plan the community is creating the plan and the Chamber should be involved.
Old Business/New Business
- · Breakfast with Santa December 5, 2009, 8:00am – 11:30am- Paul Mendoza- We are 30 days out from this Chamber event. He asked the Chamber members to please use the signup sheets for set-up, cooking, booths and tear down. Set up will be all day December 4, 2009, there will be 4 time periods of 2 hours for each time block and he will need 4 people in each 2 hour time block. Tear down should be completed by 1:00pm or so. Chamber members can donate their time, food, money or set up a free booth with a children’s activity at the booth and the members’ advertisement. This is a Chamber event given by the Chamber and we should use the Telegraph to let the community know about the event and how the event went. Entertainment- RMS will have their Middle School Band; EMHS will have their Orchestra and Bells, Irish Dancers from the Northeast Heights and Magicians.
- · Susan Walker- She is a ski instructor for the Sandia Peak ski school and would like to share the news of the Peak Plus Card for Sandia & Santa Fe. It is $49.00 and must be purchased by November 15, 2009; the pass provides great discounts for lift tickets at Sandia Peak and Santa Fe. There are also ski & boarding clinics being offered at great rates.
- · Pamela Reeves, East Mtn Friends for Families- Toy Drive. Asked that we support this effort as this has been a very difficult year for many people in our community. Also, November 14, 2009 Craft Show 9a-3p at LVCC bring a new toy and no booth fee.
- · Tri-Chamber Holiday Party, Friday December 11th, 2009 at Sierra Blanca Brewery in Moriarty RSVP to Julie by December 4th, 2009
- · Member of the Month Drawing – dei Communications- Rachel Dismuke.
- · Door Prize- Almy & Associates, Inc.
- · Member Nomination- After the Chamber members voted the new 2010 Board will consist of Jeff Burdette, Loretta Olson, Susan Walker, Peggy Moeller Mead, Paul Mendoza and Jacob Sena.
· Board Meeting to follow General meeting today.
· Reading Works is collecting used ink cartridges and old cell phones.
· Los Vecinos is in need of classes for their Saturday schedule.
· What About the Flower- Holiday Party November 14th and 15th.
- Recycling bins are available for bottles and cans, please recycle.
Meeting adjourned at 12:48pm