East Mountain Chamber of Commerce
General Meeting Minutes
June 2, 2011
President Suzy Clay called the meeting to order at 11:45am at the Los Vecinos.
Board Members present were: Suzy Clay, Bob Brittain, and Linda Eaglefeather. Board members absent were Deea Emmons, Paul Mendoza, Peggy Moeller-Mead and Dave Saegart.
New Member Presentation: Brandi Gobroski and Jessica Mathis from AGAVE Broadband presented information about this high speed internet service company. It was established in 2009 as a result of a grant received from USDA to provide remote locations with telecommunications services. There wireless internet “point – to –point” technology is now available in Manzano and Cerrillos. The company is not only making internet service available but they are also providing computer training at local community centers in Manzano and Cerrillos. AGAVE is currently offering, for a limited time only, standard installation for $50, regular price $199.95! And when you sign a one year contract, installation is free. (AGAVE is now installing in Mountainair, Edgewood, Estancia, Manzano, Torreon, Moriarty and surrounding areas). Call 505-369-7979 for more information
New Member Presentation: Sandy Garcia, Vice President Bank of the West, Cedar Crest Branch reported new banking services for new Business customers. They are now offering a new basic business checking account with no monthly charge, no minimum balance requirements, and free online banking and bill pay. Commercial real estate loans are as low as 4.89%. Sandy stated that the Bank of the West provides a full range of banking services and their primary focus is customer service.
Guest Speaker: Wayne Johnson, Bernalillo County Commissioner told the Chamber that both he and his wife are small business owners and he understands the needs and challenges of this unique community. Providing an update on the status of County government he indicated that the new regime is approaching the business of government in a more open manner such as providing a wide range of information about Bernalillo county government on the bernco.com web page. The County is currently recruiting for a new County Manager and hope to have that selection completed by September. Mr. Johnson brought us up-to-date of the opening of the East Mountain Emergency Command Center indicating it should be in the next month. He also stated that the new fitness center at the Vista Grande Community Center will be opening early August and is a shared facility with the East Mountain HS. In closing he thanked the Chamber and looks forward to reporting back to us in the near future.
Old and New Business:
1. The Breakfast with Santa (BWS) will be chair by Paul Mendoza and committees will be established by September. This year’s event will be December 3rd.
2. Suzy Clay announced that PNM has donated $1000 to the EMCC to support the BWS and to help families of needy children attend this event. We will be working with AJ Montoya Elementary School to identify those children.
3. The Chamber facility may be opened by mid-June and we will resume Wednesday coverage. An update will be e-mailed to members.
4. Suzy Clay thanked everyone for their support and reported that our membership has grown to 88. The large attendance at our monthly luncheons is great and we will continue to have our monthly meetings/lunches at locations that will accommodate the increase, we cannot use the Tijeras facility because it only holds 30, we are averaging 40 at our meetings.
5. July 7th meeting/lunch will be at the Wells Fargo Tijeras Branch.
Treasurer’s Report: Bob Brittain reported as of May 31, 2011 the balance was $7992.93, this includes the $1000 donation from PNM.
Drawing for Member of the Month: Congratulations to Clayco Marketing.
Date for the Chamber Voice: Please provide input to Ellen Ashcraft for the June 30th issue by June 20th.
New East Mountain Chamber of Commerce Members:
1. Bank of the West, Cedar Crest Branch
2. PNM, Amy Miller
3. Video Transfer, Jerome Loomis
Meeting Adjourned at 1:00pm
Respectfully submitted by Linda M Eaglefeather, Secretary